Please view the attachment for more information.
We are seeking a Web developer to complement its team of already very capable developers. This position is for full-time employment. We will do our best to help the candidate to grow in software development and make sure he/she has practical and diverse development opportunities in a professional environment.
We do ColdFusion, PHP and ASP/ASPX development. Candidates must be strongly interested in Web Development and be a quick learner.
Skills and qualities that are requirements include:
- Experience working with databases including MS SQL and MySQL
- Responsive to several management team members
- Perfectionist personality willing to deliver only outstanding results
Other Desirable Qualities:
- ColdFusion development experience
- XML experience
- Familiarity with server/network maintenance
- BS Degree in Computer Science or 2+ year experience
- Excellent benefits
- Training on our specific techniques
- Opportunity to make a big difference in a small, growing company
- Monthly company lunch at your choice of restaurant
- Monthly Massage certificate
- Convenient Stop off the Virginia Square Metro
- Close to Starbucks & Ballston Mall
Kuttlefish.com is an exciting internet startup company providing a marketplace and social network where users can buy and sell goods made of reused and recycled materials, and share reuse ideas. Our Facebook community (facebook.com/reuseconnection) has 140,000 fans and our website launched in May 2014.
We are seeking a self-motivated software developer with a minimum 3-5 years web development experience and an interest in sustainability and social media.
This position is an opportunity to work in a startup company with high career and professional growth potential. You will have a significant amount of responsibility, gain valuable experience, and will be a key player in the early success of the company. You will work closely with our CEO and our software development group.
- Familiarize yourself with our web application.
- Code new site features and fix bugs as requested.
- Integrate social media applications with the site.
- Build widgets to help expand our reach.
- Ensure all code implements responsive design.
- Master’s Degree, or working towards one.
- Experience and/or familiarity with the following:
- Linux Server
- Apache or NGINX Web Server
- MySQL version 5.5
- PHP 5.3
- Responsive design
- Social media integration
- A personal commitment to living sustainably.
- Highly motivated, self-starter.
This position will require 15-20 hours per week. Hours and days are flexible. Willingness to work on weekends, if necessary.
Preferred start date by Oct 1, but we can work with your schedule if you are the right fit. We ask that you stay with us for a minimum of 6 months.
This opportunity will begin as an unpaid internship. Free coffee during meetings and free attendance at local conferences relevant to our line of business.
Contingent on investment funding and revenue, this position can grow into full-time, paid employment.
Most work will be done from home. You will need to attend meetings occasionally in Washington DC.
The Aerospace Industries Association (AIA) is seeking a qualified undergraduate or graduate student in Computer Science, Statistics or other quantitative field to develop complex data visualizations, interactive web pages and statistical analysis in support of our advocacy efforts. The intern position is located in Arlington, Virginia and will report directly to AIA's Legislative Affairs division. The ideal candidate should be proficient in live web data visualization API’s (Java); the publication of visualizations on the web (Html5); and possess familiarity with SVG objects for graphical display and interactivity. The candidate should also have experience creating interesting infographics and data graphs that are both aesthetically interesting and readable. An interest in aerospace policy and/or political processes is a plus. *This is an unpaid position, however, a travel stipend is available.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel, basic html/Java, GIS mapping software, Google Sites, and open-source web-based data visualization tools.
- Experience with STATA, SAS, or SPSS, is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strict attention to detail, ability to manage multiple tasks, and ensure quality of work.
- Interest in public policy and legislative landscape a plus.
- Pursuing BS or MS degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, or other quantitative field.
- We are a consulting firm developing cross-industry software applications to help decision makers in emerging markets, particularly in Africa
- You are a creative, sharp, and driven student and / or recent graduate who will join a tight-knit team to develop a cutting-edge mapping, modeling, and analytics software platform, among other projects.
- We have built a scalable mapping and analytics platform using GIS tools and databases such as OpenStreetMap and CartoDB
- We are experts in emerging markets, with a focus on Africa
- We have expertise in multiple industries, including ICT, energy, infrastructure, and mobile financial services
- You love coding, data, emerging markets, and maps
- You are pursuing or have obtained a degree in computer science / engineering / similar discipline
- You have experience developing web applications with a focus on stability, security, and usability
- You are proficient in, or familiar with mobile-first and responsive design
- You have some experience in developing REST APIs and / or backend development
- You have excellent organizational skills, strong work ethic and attention to detail
- You are an enthusiastic, motivated team player who has strong communication skills
We are seeking a Co-op candidate to research new analytical and software simulation techniques for memory reliability modeling and analysis. Candidates will have some flexibility in which AMD site they work from. The ideal candidate will be studying for a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a similar discipline, and have experience with one or more of the following tools and technologies;
- Error-correcting codes (ECC)
- DRAM and non-volatile memory (NVM) failure modes and repair techniques
- Statistical modeling and simulation techniques
- Object-oriented software engineering in C++, and version control
- Use of STL and BOOST C++ libraries
Research results may be submitted for publication and may contribute to the Co-op’s own thesis.
AMD delivers unique and unmatched computational capabilities in order to create natural, intelligent and innovative ways for people to interact with the devices they love. We design and manufacture graphics cards and microprocessors that power millions of the world’s personal computers, tablets, gaming consoles, embedded devices and cloud servers.
We are seeking Co-op candidates to research next-generation compute platforms utilizing emerging non-volatile memory (NVM) technologies. Candidates will have some flexibility in which AMD site they work from. Candidates should be studying for a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a similar discipline and have experience with the following tools and technologies;
- Linux kernel: in particular, memory management subsystem and storage device drivers.
- FPGA and Verilog: Some projects have a significant hardware-software co-design component, so experience with FPGA and associated tools will be useful.
Research results may be submitted for publication and may contribute to the Co-op’s own thesis.
Are you looking for an entryway into the local tech scene? Are you interested in startup culture? Join us at AlphaVu over the summer and learn how to be a part of the science of big data while working in an exciting, fast paced startup environment. Learn more about AlphaVu: www.alphavu.com.
What is AlphaVu?
AlphaVu provides the real-time competitive intelligence you must have to win in the Internet age. Using proprietary data systems and advanced statistical methods, we identify emerging trends, monitor clients’ audiences, and distribute messages to guarantee they will be heard.
- Track engagement across social media platforms.
- Gather data on clients’ audiences and groups clients wish to add to their audiences.
- Search for and analyze information pertinent to clients’ issue areas.
- Develop and prepare data for statistical analysis.
- Currently working towards an undergraduate degree in any of the following: communications, mathematics, statistics, computer science.
- At least one semester of statistics.
- Familiar with data analysis
- Highly proficient with Excel
- Demonstrated work and knowledge of social media
Position: The American Writers Museum Foundation is seeking an intern to upgrade its website and social media positioning.
Start date – as soon as possible
Hours – flexible
Office location: 1999 K Street NW Washington DC
Monumental Sports and Entertainment (MSE) has a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Digital Marketing Internship available for Summer 2014. The CRM and Digital Marketing Intern will work closely with the CRM and Analytics group to provide support to all initiatives regarding Salesforce.com (SFDC), Ticketmaster Archtics, and Oracle Eloqua. These platforms track and execute all interaction between MSE and the customers of our sports properties (Washington Capitals, Washington Wizards, and Washington Mystics), including sales calls, order processing, and mass email distribution. Our intern will learn through on-the-job experience about professional database management and data analytics.
Resolve service Cases from internal SFDC users, which include, but are not limited to:
- Merging duplicate Accounts and Contacts in SFDC and Archtics
- Changing Primary Contacts on SFDC Accounts, ensuring proper integration to Archtics
- Create Reports in SFDC and build Dashboard components to display and analyze reported data
- Build mass email communications and surveys through Eloqua, and analyze interaction metrics
- Research best practices for the administration and development of SFDC
- Contribute to SFDC user adoption and training
Experience / Skill Requirements:
- 1-2 years office experience preferred
- Ability to learn quickly and motivation to self-teach
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Organized, thorough, and detail-oriented
- Basic level proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Exceptional analytic skills
- Positive mindset and strong team spirit
- Not Required, But a Plus: Experience with SFDC and/or Ticketmaster Archtics
- Not Required, But a Plus: Experience with Eloqua or other email platform
- Currently enrolled as a full time college student or graduate student with a focus in Computer Science preferred (other majors, including Statistics or related business path also considered).
- Must be an upper classman or graduate student
About the IHQIP
The recently launched Institute for Healthcare Quality Improvement and Performance’s (IHQIP) mission
is to improve the quality of health care in Somalia through advocacy, technical assistance, and
research. A subsidiary of Somali Family Services (www.ussfs.org), IHQIP is a nonprofit organization
with offices in the US and Garoowe, Somalia.
Data Scientist, Fellow (Unpaid)
We are seeking energetic, forward-thinking individuals to join the Institute for Quality Healthcare
Improvement and Performance (IHQIP). The successful candidate would help unravel and analyze data
for healthcare quality improvement at our non-profit organization.
This position is ideal for candidates looking for that perfect opportunity to help launch their careers in
global health. A life scientist with a data science background would also be an excellent candidate. A
strong sense of team spirit and diplomacy required, as well as excellent communication skills. Exposure
to open source software, code sprints, agile development methods, and community or technical project
management would be an asset.
Relevant experience includes open source analytics; MapReduce; text wrangling; big data; web
scraping; data mining; natural language processing; and databases (e.g. SQL or NoSQL). Core skills
should have strong analytical skills and be familiar with statistical frameworks, mathematical modeling,
and machine learning. Experience with the statistical tools used by our other scientists (e.g. R and
Python) would be helpful. Experience with web visualizations with D3 or WebGL would be an asset.
Our workflow is cloud-based, so candidates should have experience with Amazon Web Services
(AWS), as well as familiarity interacting with virtual machines and web servers. The data scientist will
interact with web-based project management tools and assist with the management of other technical
staff. The ideal candidate should have exposure to code management, code release, testing, and
distributed version control practices.
The data scientist's duties will include analyzing, modeling, and mining data with open source tools;
assisting with information management; designing scientific visualizations; and contributing to technical
project management. S/he will be responsible for developing of statistical, mathematical and operations
research models that are applied to solving business problems.The data scientist will be expected to
adhere to our code management, code release, and distributed version control practices.
Formal Education Required and/or Equivalent Experience:
Master’s (preferred) or Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Operations Research, or another quantitative
field. At least 1 year (with a Master’s degree) or 2 years (with a Bachelor’s) experience applying
statistical and data mining techniques to business problems. Knowledge of SAS, R, Mahout, and data
visualization tools. Knowledge of parametric, non-parametric and semi-parametric regressions models,
cross section time series models, longitudinal data analysis, Structural Equations Models etc.
Knowledge of formulating and solving OR models like linear (large-scale), mixed integer, non-linear and
evolutionary programming methods. Knowledge of various Clustering algorithms and their applications
Work Environment/Physical Activities:
Flexible workplace with option for telework. Weekly and/or Bi-weekly check-ins with Supervisor via
Skype, email and/or in-person depending on proximity to Washington Metro area.
About the Work
This position is about using technology to help fundamentally change the way international
development projects are managed.
The International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) was founded in 2011, and has had incredible success
in standardizing publication of information on international development activities. Almost all of the
world’s major funders now publish data on international development spending to a central registry in a
common format, permitting easy access, analysis, and aggregation of a wealth of important data on
projects in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe, and the Caribbean. These data are invaluable for
citizens and governments in developing countries who want to understand the real patterns of
development spending in their countries, and who want to analyze development projects which are
affecting their lives.
However, the gap between data publication and data use is still wide. The IATI data model is complex,
the registry is still evolving, and there is a massive need for skilled hackers to sift through the data and
develop strategies for parsing, quality assurance, and aggregation. Many of DG’s products are starting to
use IATI data at scale, and we are taking a leading role in the community effort to help IATI live up to its
You are smart and tech-savvy, with a background in data analysis or web development (or both!), and
you want to use your skills to help change the world. We have no specific educational requirements -
what we require is that you can hit the ground running on day one with building cool products for
parsing XML, analyzing IATI data, and extracting actionable insights. (And yes, it’s totally fine if your first
step is “convert the XML to JSON”).
About the Experience
This is a paid internship, based at the amazing and brand-new OpenGov Hub office at McPherson
Square. You will spend the summer in an open concept environment, hooked up to fast wifi and
unlimited coffee, surrounded by http://opengovhub.org/who-we-are/ ">cool organizations, in the heart of a a great neighborhood. You will get the chance to learn from the AidData team about international development, you will push the
organization’s thinking around IATI, and you will be supported by a team who can quickly get you up-to-speed on the domain-specific aspects of the IATI data model. Your insights will not sit on a shelf, but rather will be integrated into core products and production code bases. And who knows - if things go well there is a very good chance that you will be doing this integration yourself before the summer is out.
Development Gateway's (DG) mission is to empower development professionals, governments, and citizens with
the information they need to build a better world. DG makes development information easier to gather, access,
use, and understand through a combination of global advisory services and custom technology solutions.
Development Gateway has more than 10 years of experience in Africa, East Asia, Latin America and Europe.
DG’s clients and partners include key players in the international development space, including more than 24
developing country governments; development agencies such as the World Bank, USAID, the European
Commission, UNDP, UNICEF, and African Development Bank; and innovative private and non-governmental
organizations around the world. DG develops holistic solutions that combine comprehensive consultative services
and web-based software solutions in three broad thematic areas:
- Visual Analytics: Using databases, dashboards, graphics and maps to make development data easier to
collect, manage, use and understand.
- Results Management: Giving development leaders the tools they need to monitor progress, measure
impact and make informed decisions.
- Citizen Engagement: Building platforms for citizens to engage in the development process and hold leaders accountable.
The Information Technology (IT) Intern will assist the technical team in systems administration and management.
He or she will perform user account management, virtual machine deployment using our private cloud platform
and templates, assist in configuring web servers, perform hardware maintenance at the data center, organize
hardware inventory, etc.
This is a paid internship position.
What you can learn from us
- Linux systems management
- LDAP directory management
- System administration best practices
- Automated deployment & unattended install
- Configuration management
- Version control with Git
- Networking and protocols
- SQL and NoSQL database management & tuning
- AD domain services with Samba
- Scripting in Bash, Perl, PHP or Python
- Virtualization with XenServer cloud
- Resource planning & network design
- Monitoring service availability
- Configuring Nginx & Apache web servers
- Security audit
- Debugging and tracing
- Using and managing Jira issue tracker
- Server hardware maintenance and upgrade
- Fibre-optic SAN management & zoning Qualifications
- Basic Linux user skills
- Well-organized and attentive
- Excellent English
- Eligible to work in the US
- Desire to learn is a must: we'll keep no "secret knowledge" from you
The APHL web intern provides support for the association’s rapidly expanding website. The intern makes site updates, creates pages using standard templates, regularly reviews site content and style, supports search engine optimization (SEO) and assists with other projects as requested.
Click here for more information.
BE A HEALTHCARE HERO!
Looking to make a difference? Love web design? Follow healthcare policy? Please help the Institute of Universal Healthcare (IUHC) create a vibrant and engaging website that will build grass roots support for a more inclusive, affordable and sustainable healthcare system by building on the ACA and making it better. (A lot better!)
We are seeking savvy and creative designers who can work with our marketing team to develop an effective site and digital strategy that enables us to promote the organization and its mission mobilize members and raise much needed funds.
Together, we can leave no patient behind!
AccessComputing, a National Science Foundation funded project, aims to increase the participation of people with disabilities in computing careers. Once again, AccessComputing has funding for students with disabilities to participate in summer internships. Students participate in both research internships as well as non-research internships. As we all know, internship experience is important as students move on to the next steps of their careers.
Students with disabilities who are interested in summer internships are encouraged to fill out the form at: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/blaser/224098 Through applying for an internship, students will have the opportunity become AccessComputing student team members. Student team members engage in online mentoring and are eligible to request funding for internships, travel to conferences, and tutoring.
Faculty who are interested in hosting an AccessComputing student with a disability as a research intern, are encouraged to contact AccessComputing PI Richard Ladner directly at email@example.com
Learn more about AccessComputing by checking out our latest Opportunities! newsletter that helps students with disabilities learn about careers in computing, locate resources, and learn about opportunities for students with disabilities.
University of Maryland Center for Bioinformatics and Computational
Biology (CBCB) is inviting application for summer internship program.
The goal of the summer program is to get students hands-on research
experience in bioinformatics as part of ongoing research projects
within the CBCB. The program will run from May to August (with
flexible start and end dates) and will involve full-time research (40
hours / week). Students will be paid a stipend commensurate with
their level of education. Please visit
for further information and instructions on how to apply.